March 18, 2012

Beautiful Girls

Growing up as a girl has shown me a life of roller coasters. The ups and downs, the good and the bad, the pretty and the pretty ugly.
There is so many societal rules when it comes to beauty. Many people believe that beauty comes from the eye of the beholder. Or for others it's becoming like cold, hard, plastic Barbie. Only problem is... Everyone wants to be her.
Almost everyone that I hang out is an example of this, from work to family. The vain reality of beauty.
-Excessive makeup
-Fake tanning/Spray tans
-Manicures/Pedicures
-Push-up Bras
-High heels
-Cleavage
The list can drag on and on. I see girls that I'm friends with that obsess over how they look. My step sister is a victim of this. Blonde bombshell with a nice body. And I know guys that drop their jaw every time a "Barbie" walks by.
I'm not trying to be a hypocrite. Just last week I did receive a spray tan, went and got a manicure and pedicure, and had my eyebrows waxed. But it also was my best friends wedding and I was having crazy anxiety. I like feeling good about myself and sometimes that comes from me looking good; but it's mostly for myself and not the enjoyment of others. My boyfriend is sweet and does tell me that I am beautiful when I'm in sweats and no makeup.
And I hate walking into work and having people tell me, "You're wearing makeup today?!" And I want to reply: I WEAR MAKEUP EVERYDAY... just not as much as accepted. I realized that if I take the extra effort to look nice and decent I will receive more compliments. But what if I don't want to waste my time looking good, I want to live my life and do my best.

No comments: